Baking is always fun. Yay!
Initially, I was going to make royal icing but I spent 2 hours searching at every grocery stores near my place for powdered sugar, to no avail.
I got the recipe below from this site
Recipe: Moist Yellow Cake With Boiled Icing
- 3 cups (330 g) cake flour shopping list
- 1 Tbsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup (8 oz or 230 g) unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 2 cups (454 g) granulated sugar shopping list
- 5 large eggs shopping list
- 2 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups (10 fl oz or 300 ml) buttermilk shopping list
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and line with parchment paper two 8×2-inch (20×5-cm) pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut up the butter into 1-inch pieces and place them in the large bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment or beaters. Beat for 3 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH speed until the butter is light and creamy in color. Stop and scrape the bowl. Cream the butter for an additional 60 seconds.
- Add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Reduce the mixer speed. Stir vanilla into the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Mix just until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a knife. Lift up the pan with the batter, and let it drop onto the counter top to burst any air bubbles, allowing the batter to settle.
- Center the pans onto the lower third of the oven and let bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is lightly brown on top and comes away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Note: Let the cake cool in the pan. Storage: Double wrap the cake in plastic wrap. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Yield: Two 8-inch (20-cm) cakes
Cooking time (duration): 75 mins
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Recipe: Fluffy Boiled Icing
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1. Combine sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt in a saucepan; stir until well blended. Boil slowly without stirring until mixture will spin a long thread when a little is dropped from a spoon (hold the spoon high above saucepan), or reaches 238 – 242 degrees F (114 – 117 degrees C). 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer until they are stiff, but still moist. Pour hot syrup slowly over egg whites while beating. Continue until mixture is very fluffy, and will hold its shape. Add vanilla, and beat until blended. If icing does not seem stiff enough, beat in 2 or 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff enough to hold its shape. Spread on cake. (I dropped a very little amount of blue food coloring)
Cooking time (duration): 5 mins
Meal type: dessert